Friday, January 12, 2007

Not Worth $10.50


Yes, this is me participating in a highly nonsensical sport in fact. A sport that was created for all of those people who get excited about putting on their skis and walking from the lodge to the ski lift, or are rapturously delighted by putting on their skis and climbing partially up the ski hill to a chair lift above them, or even further, those who delight in strapping a non-directional saucer to their feet and heading down their favorite run, or perhaps a sports enthusiast who may specialize in an equally arbitrary combination of activity and it's respective equipment such as putting on a space suit to go swimming or rollerskates for a brisk hike.

To what am I referring? I do not enjoy cross-country skiing. I was a little surprised to find this out but I spent an afternoon this week exploring this realization. Let me just ask you, who would strap on a pair of skis and walk uphill? WHO??!!! Cross-country skiers is the answer to that otherwise rhetorical question. You'd think once the walking around and up and all over got you to the top of a hill and pointed you down, you'd be a fish who just got put back in the pond, but no, cross-country skis do not have edges, nor are you strapped in to them properly, so downhill skiing on these contraptions is like standing on two cafeteria trays and choosing whether it would hurt worse to do a face plant or a tailbone plant. I recommend the tailbone plant.

Cross-country skiing is not for me and I don't recommend it to you. The only thing that made it ok was that it was beautiful outside and mom and dad were there, otherwise, no good. If you must try cross-country skiing I would suggest choosing a destination to travel too, like a yurt or an alpine vista. This makes the sport appear less silly than the alternate approach of skiing around in circles in the woods for hours and then getting in the car and going home.

1 comment:

Laura said...

So sorry, girl! Sounds like my first try at cross-country skiing... Since then I've had lots more practice at it, even using skis as a major mode of transportation into a snow camping location and all weekend! It does get easier and I think it's a blast (had to throw my vote in here)! You should definately try it again sometime!